Tuesday, August 6, 2013

7 Reasons to Make Your Own Baby Food!

Hey All!!!! I decided to throw another type of natural advice on the blog this morning. . . Baby Food! As I have mentioned before, I have a beautiful growing 5 month old at home. She has recently started eating food and the second time around, I decided that I would like to try and make the food :-) So far, I am loving it! With my first child I chose to purchase food and that worked out fine, however we are looking to save as much money as we can in different areas the second time around, so I am dabbling in the DIY food circuit! Here is the list that I have compiled from my experience and research . . . .Enjoy! 7 reasons to make your own babyfood 1.You know exactly what’s in it! a.You don’t have a crazy ingredients label to read because you are the one who is adding all of the ingredients! You will know that the foods you're serving your child don't contain any additives or preservatives 2.Texture Variety a.Since you are making the purees, you are the one who can control the texture of each different food. Allowing your baby to try different textures will better prepare them for table foods. 3.Healthy Habits a.Many times as adults, we may not like something that we never ate as a child. If the first and main things that your baby eats are healthy, they wont miss the unhealthy stuff. It helps your child develop a taste for fresh fruits and vegetables from the start. Fresh, seasonal food typically tastes better 4.Tasty Mixtures! a.If you make your own foods for your baby, you will be able to choose different types of foods that may not be available in the stores. 5.Saving Mullah! a.One thing I learned right away is that when I started making my own food with my second child, I was saving so much money! I was able to buy fresh and frozen veggies to puree and for the same amount of money I would have twice and sometimes 3 times more food for my lil one! 6.You have the Tools a.If you are like my household, we have tons of cooking gadgets and since we already have them, we figured why not use them to create babyfood?!? 7.It's good for the environment. a.Less bottles and packaging means less waste in landfills, just an FYI. There's also less food waste since you won't have to throw out half-eaten jars of baby food. I know that there are some people who will still think of reasons why you shouldn’t make your own baby food, but after researching it, I could only really come up with 3 consistant reasons. 1.Time. It takes time to make and prepare lots of little servings of homemade baby food. It’s much faster to pick up prepackaged servings. >~However, I usually carve out about 2 hours on a Sunday and make as much food as I can within that time and toss it in the freezer. It will last me about a good 2 weeks, that way I am ahead of the game and I can afford to miss a week if I need to 2.Convenience. Prepackaged baby foods come in measured amounts and ready to serve. >~Yes, the store bought foods are already ready to serve but the only difference with the homemade food is that you have to thaw it out real quick, but that’s not really a big deal at all. And if the food is stored in ice cube trays, each cube is an ounce. 3.Storage. Homemade baby foods may spoil more quickly and require refrigeration, which may take up room in your fridge or freezer if you make a lot of servings ahead of time. Prepackaged baby foods don’t need refrigerator storage until they’re opened. >~This one is very simple, I think about it the same way that I think about breastmilk; when you have a baby and you plan to go an extra mile with feeding, you just make the room in your freezer. It hasn’t been an issue in my home and we have 4 people to feed, so it all works out. Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment